Worlds embrace, cross, conflict and collide.
My world, your world, the world outside.
The world around us, worlds beyond us.
In which world do you reside?
The world we live in, the world we once knew
Would we could capture worlds, bring them to view.

Friday, 8 January 2010

The Unfinished Race: Part 3

In my previous posts I set out the observations I had made of Alan followed by his background story. In this post I want to develop the idea I had for a film.

The idea for a film came about when in my mind I juxtaposed my initial perception of Alan with the perception I had after I heard the story about his past. I could now see this troubled, lonely figure as a young man sprinting down a running track, full of vitality and life, determined, confident and free. The contrast between these two pictures is so great that when you observe Alan today, it is hard to imagine him being any other way. Whether the story is entirely true or not makes little difference - it sparks the imagination and that makes the basis for a good film.

Now to the idea:

Alan is lonely, troubled man. Since being discharged from the local psychiatric hospital he spends his days walking back and fourth along one of the main roads of the town where he lives. Life wasn't always this way for Alan. He was once a promising athlete, but tragically the gruelling training he went through led to a complete mental and physical breakdown from which he never recovered. The memory of the life he once knew fuels his troubled mind and compels him to walk day after day, as if this ritual will somehow reconnect him with his past.

James is young boy who lives in the same town as Alan. He is an only child and lives with his parents near the route that Alan walks along each day. James isn't particularly good at sport, in fact during P.E. lessons at school when teams are being chosen, he always seems to be picked last. James dreads P.E. and longs to be good at sport, even if it is just at one thing.

After school one day, following a particularly miserable P.E. lesson, James is walking home, his head bowed. The rain is lashing down and he is soaked to the skin. Walking towards him from the opposite direction is Alan, staring straight ahead, his arms crossed tightly against his chest. James almost bumps into him and in so doing looks up. His eyes meet Alan's sorrowful stare. Little do either of them know the significance this meeting will have for their lives.....

8 comments:

  1. Tim, sounds good - emotionally gripping. Tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool story! It will be interesting to see how it turns out! There, that was me posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am definately gripped, by this story

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the chap you are referring to. It's really good that you can get inside his head and imagine how he came to be walking the streets of Taunton calling himself Linford. Is this part of the story fictional?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linford, as in Linford Christie? Do you know something I don't?! Did you give him that name or is that what he calls himself in real life?! I'm intrigued, you've sparked a new idea! Read parts 1 and 2 for a bit more background...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to reading the next part of the story. Everyone knows the caracters, and it makes the story so relevant and emotional...
    It will be interesting to see who is the main character, which changes the meeting between the two men leads to, and of course how the story progresses and ends. You have made good descriptions of the characters, especially Alan, and I can see him as a child, perhaps similar to James, but in my mind he was the opposite ...
    The starting point can lead to different stories, and I'm curious to see if there are similarities or differences between the characters who make history ..
    And, last but not least, how much difference there is between how I think the story progresses, and how the real story will be ...
    I really hope I get to see this film one day...

    Good Luck!

    TB

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chap in Taunton who used to run the streets of Taunton. I think he told Paul that he had been a Championship runner. He called himself Linford. He was very ill. But I don't know whether he will ever get better. I would love to think that his story will have a happy ending. Hopefully he will find peace before he passes on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the way you manage to get inside the characters and help us to feel as they are feeling. This is a real art and not easy to do.

    ReplyDelete