This is a poem I wrote some time ago when in my previous 9-5 office job. I have come to realise I do not operate very well in this kind of environment and at times I felt overwhelmed by the endless distractions and hustle and bustle. As you have probably gathered from the nature of this blog, I am a quiet observer of the world around me and need that quietness in order to think clearly:
The noise, the rings, the clacks, the bangs
The shouts, the laughs, the murmurs
The taps, the clicks, the scratch and rustle
Surge in, relentless, stampeding raiders.
Let me glide and slip silently away
Like the troubled sea when stormy winds have left it
The empty city when restless traders have stopped their endless trading
To take their restless minds to other restless places
Like the fairground when spinning wheels and whirling lights
Have ceased their endless motion
Let me walk amongst the memory of these things
And know I have escaped to see a world that they may never see.
Friday, 5 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I visualise and sense each quiet peaceful place after the hectic noise has left. This has the effect of quietening the soul.....
ReplyDeleteThanks Christina, glad it had that effect. I wrote this at the end of a day at work when most people had gone home. The contrast between the stillness of the near empty office and the normal hustle, bustle and chatter conjoured up those images.
ReplyDeleteI liked this poem and the tribute (?)(right word?) to quietness.
ReplyDeleteBtw,The poem that's in the blogheader, I like it very well, it caught my interest for your blog in the first place, - are you the writer?
Hi, yes I wrote the poem at the top of my blog :)
ReplyDeleteYou use simple words to create such meaningful pictures. The last line is so beautiful and the place of quietness one to be cherished.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary. I go on the rule that big words alone look impressive, but simple words when combined paint a picture. Then it's not the individual words you're left with, rather a feeling or an image that lasts beyond the words themselves.
ReplyDelete